[dini-ag-kim-identifier] SWIB18 Breakout Session HTTP vs. HTTPS

Klee, Carsten Carsten.Klee at sbb.spk-berlin.de
Mon Feb 4 15:21:09 CET 2019

Hey everyone!

First of all, thank you Jana for summarizing our discussion. The text reflects all the problems and arguments, I think.

After reading about our discussion, I once again thought about my idea to apply a checksum within the document, which then can be verified via an https connection. But at second thought, I see that the idea was not well thought out. There are various problems with this approach. To mention only one: If anybody adds a checksum to a document, then the checksum of the document changes, thus the provided checksum is invalid.

Anyhow, I stumbled upon the Linked Data Signatures draft [1], which yields the same problem but with a superior technology (public/private keys etc.).

I don’t think, that this is really an option for library data providers: Too hard to implement, too much data overflow. But anyhow, I just wanted to let you know.

Cheers!

Carsten

[1] https://w3c-dvcg.github.io/ld-signatures/

---
Carsten Klee
Zeitschriftendatenbank (ZDB)
Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin – Preußischer Kulturbesitz
carsten.klee at sbb.spk-berlin.de
Tel.:   +49 30 266-43 44 02