AW: [Dini-ag-kim-bestandsdaten] Re: Holdings, Units, Items and URIs

Klee, Carsten Carsten.Klee at sbb.spk-berlin.de
Tue Jun 18 08:26:18 CEST 2013

Hi everyone!

Thank you both for your clarifications Jörg and Jakob. Seems I forgot to distinguish between logical and physical Items.

Just let me explain, in my own words, what I think I understand now.

Please forgive me when I going to be verbose, but I want sort out the vocabulary salad in my head.

1 Holding
*       A Holding is somehow a description of a 'bibliographic Item'.

2. Bibliographic Item
*       A 'bibliographic Item' is a logical Item and is also called 'Exemplar' (de/en).
*       "Examples of bibliographic items are: a single book, a set of maps, a musical score with parts, a compact digital disk, a multimedia kit, a manuscript collection, a microform journal, a videotape with an accompanying pamphlet, a loose-leaf publication together with its serially-issued updates, a journal, a newspaper. (Z39.71)"
*       A 'bibliographic Item' consists of one or more 'bibliographic Units'.

3. Bibliographic Unit
*       A 'bibliographic Unit' is a logical Unit.
*       'Bibliographic Units' representing either the hole or a part of a 'bibliographic Item'.
*       There are basic, secondary and supplemental (logical) Units.
*       "Examples of basic bibliographic units are a book, a multivolume encyclopedia, a computer file, a map, a score, a set of orchestral parts, and a publication with separately titled constituent parts. A bibliographic entity composed of several bibliographic units where one does not predominate is considered to have multiple basic bibliographic units; for example, a multimedia kit or a musical score and parts. (Z39.71)"
*       'Bibliographic Units' can have a single 'physical Unit', multipart 'physical Unit' or convoluted 'physical Unit'.

4. Physical Unit
*       Is also called Piece or (physical) Item.
*       "A single part, often a physical part, of a bibliographic unit. (Z39.71)"

Is this right so far?

Cheers!

Carsten

Carsten Klee
Abt. Überregionale Bibliographische Dienste IIE
Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin - Preußischer Kulturbesitz

Fon:  +49 30 266-43 44 02