[Dini-ag-kim-bestandsdaten] Re: Holdings, Units, Items and URIs

Jakob Voß voss at gbv.de
Mon Jun 17 09:54:12 CEST 2013

Hi,

Thanks to Carsten for the good summary and collection. Thanks also to
Jörg for showing the complexity of difference between "logical" and
"physical" bibliographic objects.

In short, there is a n-to-m relationship between logical documents
(which can be books, articles, series etc.) and physical items (which
can be bound books, journal issues, PDF files etc.). For the holding
ontology in RDF I propose to use an "examplarOf" relationship between
documents and items, as also shown at

https://wiki.dnb.de/display/DINIAGKIM/Scope+of+Holdings

In addition one should support "narrowerExemplar" and "broaderExemplar"
relationships, for instance to connect a chapter as document with a
physical book or with a PDF file of the book that contains multiple
chapters.

Furthermore there is the "holding record", as found in current library
data. I hope I don't disillusion anyone, but there is no general and
clear relationship between holding records and neither documents, nor
items. In our catalogs we can find holding records that refer to
multiple documents, holding records that refer to multiple items, and
holding records that refer to one document with multiple items. Trying
to get a clean mapping between holding records and document or item
entities with URIs will require to bend the concept of a document and
item as following:

If we want all holding records to refer to exactely one item, there will
be items that consist of multiple physical parts (as noted in Carstens
mail).

If we want all holding records to refer to exactely one document, there
will be documents that consist span multiple objects (for instance a
series is build of multiple parts).

I think this bending is not a general problem, but it must be clear that
it can be against the normal concepts of documents and items when
talking to other people.

By the way, I like Jörgs definition of an item, but I would remove the
limitation to "the smallest thing" because Items can be connected to
each other by part-of relationships.

> In general, an item is the smallest thing the librarian can hand over
> to a patron for reference, or for circulation. An item gets a single
> shelfmark, and a single barcode (or a number, for inventory).

Furthermore I would note that the single shelfmark, barcode, copy number
etc. can be located in many different MARC fields or other locations.
Carsten wrote:

 > In all of the formats and standards like MARC, Z39.71, ZETA etc.
 > there is always the possibility to subsume multiple Units/Items
 > within one Holding.
 >
 > For instance the MARC Holding field 852 (Location) is repeatable.
 > And in our union catalogue it is common that multiple Units with
 > different locations, callnumbers and access restrictions are
 > described in one holding record.

Yes, there is no 1-to-1 relationship between holding records and items -
but this is no problem if items have other identifiers but
holding-record-ids. Frankly, I doubt that modeling holding records is of
much use at all. Library holding records are old artifacts that one
should get rid of when mapping holding data to RDF. Nobody is interested
in the way that libraries tend to combine single or multiple documents
and items in records.

What really matters are documents and items. Or to put in the other way
round: A holding record can be *anything* that describes or references
one or multiple items, held by the same agent. For instance I can create
an inventory of the books on my small shelf in the office as Excel list,
so this list becomes a holding record.

Jakob

--
Jakob Voß <jakob.voss at gbv.de>, skype: nichtich
Platz der Goettinger Sieben 1, 37073 Göttingen, Germany