AW: [Dini-ag-kim-bestandsdaten] Definition and scope of Holding

Klee, Carsten Carsten.Klee at sbb.spk-berlin.de
Wed Apr 24 19:39:36 CEST 2013

Hi Owen and everyone else!

Thank you for your note and the link.

I think you are absolutely right. A holding description should not be confused with a Collection Level Description.

On the website I found this levels listing of the granularity of library metadata [1]. And surely we have to deal with level 6 and 7. And that for my definition is misleading.

Like Jörg earlier said we should consider the 'notion of "units" in an item' (see level 7). This is what I was trying to express with "collection of items". But I was wrong with what I thought an item actually is.

What I had in mind was our holding description of a Periodical. We do not describe one "issue" but a bunch of "issues". So I thought: issue = item and issues = collection of items. But this is obviously wrong. It's more like item = entity. And an item can have zero, one or more units.

So I like to change my holding definition. I discard "a collection of items" to the favour of an item, which (I learned now) can consist of units. I also like to add an 'or', which makes the 'inventory information' optional (in case someone only describes the access to an item):

"A description of one agents inventory information and/or access information for an item."

Cheers!

Carsten

[1] <http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Library_standards_and_linked_data#Granularity_of_library_metadata>

Carsten Klee
Abt. Überregionale Bibliographische Dienste IIE
Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin - Preußischer Kulturbesitz

Fon:  +49 30 266-43 44 02