[Dini-ag-kim-bestandsdaten] Proposal for a new micro ontology on holdings

Klee, Carsten Carsten.Klee at sbb.spk-berlin.de
Wed Dec 18 08:16:55 CET 2013

Hi everyone!

I created another repository holding-record [1] at GitHub which should be the base for a proposal to a new micro ontology. But I want the discussion take place at this list. So here is what I want to achieve:

This is a proposal for another micro ontology. Since the Holding Ontology [2] describes the item itself, this ontology may describe all the information we have in our holding records but isn't described by the Holding Ontology.

## Ideas

* This ontology may define a main class "HoldingRecord" or "HoldingStatement" like in the Library Holdings RDF Vocabulary [3]. Both should be should be subclasses to foaf:Document, bibo:Document or dcterms:BibliographicResource.

* The main class may be linked to the item with a property like foaf:topic.

* It should define properties like date of creation, date of revision, agents envolved in the creation of this document, numbers for acquistion and purchase, retention policy, access resctrictions, statement on bugets, license, completeness etc.

* The PROV Ontology [4] might be used to express the whole creation and revision part.

 * One question might be, if the availability for an item and its related services should be expressed here and not in the Holding Ontology.

* Furthermore the Holding Ontology might be renamed since this ontology is more likely an ontology describing the holding?

I will be happy to hear about your ideas and comments on this.

Cheers!

Carsten

[1] <https://github.com/dini-ag-kim/holding-record>
[2] <http://dini-ag-kim.github.io/holding-ontology/holding.html>
[3] <http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/v1wwaite/2011/06/holdings.html>
[4] <http://www.w3.org/TR/prov-o/>
Carsten Klee
Abt. Überregionale Bibliographische Dienste IIE
Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin - Preußischer Kulturbesitz
Potsdamer Straße 33
10785 Berlin

Fon:  +49 30 266-43 44 02
Fax:   +49 30 266-33 40 01