[rak-list] mehrbändig

Bernhard Eversberg EV at BUCH.BIBLIO.ETC.TU-BS.DE
Wed Feb 13 18:54:22 CET 2002

Gunilla Jonsson writes:

> GJ: well, it is clearly indicated in the MARC21 guidelines that fields 440 and 490
> apply to "series" material. How far you carry the interpretation of "series" is of
> course crucial. In Sweden, our interpretation has, obviously, coincided with the German
> understanding of the concepts, as described in the passage below, which I quote from
> the document on the URL above:

Here, the concept of a personal author "series" is unknown. We would
not use 410 or 440 or 490 for the purpose but would insist on a
solution along the lines of the 787 as shown in the examples.
The German word "Serie" is not the same as "series"! Things like this
make the translating of AACR a bit difficult. The chapter 13 with
commentary is under
  http://www.arl.org/collect/grp/aacr2/sample.pdf

Compromises like the ones you describe seem unacceptable to us.

Reg. B.E.

Bernhard Eversberg
Universitaetsbibliothek, Postf. 3329,
D-38023 Braunschweig, Germany
Tel.  +49 531 391-5026 , -5011 , FAX  -5836
e-mail  B.Eversberg at tu-bs.de