[rak-list] mehrbändig

Monika Muennich Muennich at UB.UNI-HEIDELBERG.DE
Wed Feb 6 09:23:27 CET 2002

Liebe Kolleginnen und Kollegen, hier Frau Jonssons Antwort:

Now, to your colleagues first question: yes, this is the layout of the
245 field for every part of that
multivolume work. Main title in 245 a, volume number in n and volume
title in p, which is repeatable, just as B.
Eversberg points out. Personally I wouldn't care that you cannot make
the article in p non sorting -- I'm mainly
concerned with the function in the database, and besides, I happen to be
of the opinion that we might just as
well sort on articles (I have seen it done that way, and I think it
works beautifully). You put the volume
number in n, so you have a way of specifying this information.

You might of course find it redundant to repeat the main title in many
records. The American way (or at least
the method we see many examples of) is to make one record, put the main
title in 245 and the volume information
in a 505 note field -- or in the 300 field only, that is extent of
publication (volumes, pages). I don't know
how well 505 works as a basis for indexing. There is a subfield t which
can be used for title, but the Americans
do not always use that. The note also gets very clumsy and difficult to
read if you have many volumes and long
volume titles. For the users sake, I think 245 a, n, p is easier, even
if it means some repetition. In many
cases the Americans do not supply any 505, or supply very little
information in it. How they find things then, I
don't know. In fact, I have been told by colleagues that there are lots
of duplicate records for multivol. publ.
in OCLC, e.g., so perhaps they do not find them.

Mit besten Grüßen Monika Münnich

--
Monika Muennich
Universitaetsbibliothek