[Lds] ideas/recommendations for JSON-LD serializations

Thomas Gängler thomas.gaengler at slub-dresden.de
Do Apr 19 14:14:06 CEST 2018

Hello,

currently, we process some JSON-LD dumps (e.g. ZDB and GND) from data
available via DNB. Our observations while processing them are following:

1. It would be nice, if you could provide line-delimited JSON [1]
records (instead of one large JSON object/array (as it is the case right
now))
2. It would be nice, if the JSON-LD records could be provided in compact
JSON-LD [2] (instead of the extended format (as it is the case right
now)) + referenced @context* (instead of inline @context)
3. It would be nice, if the (compact) JSON-LD records contain all
sub-entities (i.e. there are no separate bnodes, but (if necessary)
hierarchical entities), cf. [4], [5] or similar (instead of separate
bnode objects in the same hierarchy level (as it is the case right now))

We believe that all recommended changes will lead to a better usability
of the provided JSON-LD data. Hence, we and probably other data
consumers of the DNB datasets will be happy, if you could implement our
proposed ideas.

Best regards,

Thomas

*) referenced context requires that you probably need to provide/host
the context documents at DNB (instead of, e.g., ZDB Github account [3])

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON_streaming#Line_delimited_JSON
[2] https://www.w3.org/TR/json-ld-api/#compaction
[3] https://github.com/Zeitschriftendatenbank/jsonld-context
[4] https://www.w3.org/Submission/CBD/