[Dini-ag-kim-bestandsdaten] Definition and scope of Holding

Jakob Voß voss at gbv.de
Tue May 21 14:19:21 CEST 2013

Hi,

Philipp wrote:

> I like your picture, also I am not sure if your connections to Service
> are the only possibilities here. However, I think we should concentrate
> for the moment at the information not related to services. How about
> postpone these questions, because we need here certainly the opinion of
> Jakob Voß.

I also like Carsten's picture and description and I agree to concentrate
on information not related to services - this can better be expressed
with a remaining part of DAIA ontology and Document Service Ontology. So
better remove the "service portfolio".

> What we could also add as general information is the status of item in
> the library: ordered, in-house, in-acquisition, ready, missing, ...

Yes but we should take care not to introduce to much implicit
assumptions about these status - they may be handled very differently
among institutions. Without a clear definition and explanation terms
such as "ready" or "in-house" are rather fuzzy.

We should also clarify whether such status imply anything on services
and on the relation between Item and Agent. For instance is a missing
Item still held by its Agent (I'd say so)? How do we find out the most
used and most relevant of these status?

By the way status might also be encoded as sub-property of holds/heldBy:
for instance a document that has been ordered is held by an Agent in a
special way. But first let's find out which status are relevant at all.

Carsten wrote:

> If we discard the "service portfolio" then the remaining scope of
> Holdings description would be:
>
> 1. general holdings information
> 2. current status

as long as this is not confused with availability

> (3. hooks)?

better give this another name, such as "relations to agents and documents".

Jakob

--
Jakob Voß <jakob.voss at gbv.de>, skype: nichtich
Platz der Goettinger Sieben 1, 37073 Göttingen, Germany