AW: [Dini-ag-kim-bestandsdaten] Definition and scope of Holding

Klee, Carsten Carsten.Klee at sbb.spk-berlin.de
Mon May 13 08:06:06 CEST 2013

Hi Philipp and everyone!

I was a little bit confused about the relations between Holdings, Documents, Agents and Services. So I tried to illustrate my thoughts and came up with a diagram which I want to share with you.

The namespace holding stands for the new holding ontology (to be created). Therefore I borrowed some labels from the daia ontology [1], which like Jakob mentioned should be moved to a holding ontology [2].

[cid:image002.jpg at 01CE4FB0.B8343270]

In my understanding Holding and Title are just descriptions of the entities Item and Document. An Item I think is a Document itself (a particular copy of a document). In museum and archive contexts Item and Document could be the same, because of the uniqueness of the entity.

What Philipp tried to express is the "*general offer*, that the :Holding has the service :NormalLoan [...]". But now I think the general offer of services comes from the Agent and the Holding description just states if an Item is available / unavailable for the Service. So my example (Holding dso:hasService ...) was wrong I think.

What I'm aiming to say is, that a Holding does not have to deal with service descriptions. The availability of documents (including Items as I think) could be expressed with the DAIA ontology (daia:availableFor / daia:unaivailableFor) within the Holding description.

What do you think: Should the "service portfolio" scope be discarded from the Holding scope than???

If we discard the "service portfolio" then the remaining scope of Holdings description would be:

1. general holdings information

2. current status

(3. hooks)?

I edited the "Scope of Holdings" Wiki page [3] and added another table "hooks", which describes the properties of Agent and Document linking to an Item.

Cheers!

Carsten

[1] <http://uri.gbv.de/ontology/daia>

[2] http://gbv.github.io/daiaspec/daia.html#relevant-differences-to-daia-0.5

[3] <https://wiki.dnb.de/display/DINIAGKIM/Scope+of+Holdings>

Carsten Klee

Abt. Überregionale Bibliographische Dienste IIE

Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin - Preußischer Kulturbesitz

Fon:  +49 30 266-43 44 02