Re: [rak-list] mehrbändig

Bernhard Eversberg ev at buch.biblio.etc.tu-bs.de
Tue Feb 12 13:25:07 CET 2002

On 7 Feb 02, at 10:28, Gunilla Jonsson wrote:

> There is another possibility to treat multi volume publications, which would meet
> Mr Eversberg's wish to have an "eigenen Datensatz für das Hauptwerk".
This is not my particular wish, it is our collective understanding and it is what
we have always had in all our systems. ALL of our multipart records are done this
way, there's no 505 at all for multipart contents.

> You might
> treat it as a serial publication and make a main entry for the "serial", das
> Hauptwerk, and separate records for the parts.
Which is what we have been doing all the time. Only not using the "serial"
concept here. "Main multipart record" is a category of its own.

> Our principal objection to this
> method is that we would have to treat an awful lot of publications as serials,
> which are not true serials.
That's not true. Maybe some system or other forces you to make the main record
a "serial" type record, but it is by no means what MARC21 would require.
Just look at the examples and the reasoning in
  http://www.biblio.tu-bs.de/allegro/formate/reusep.htm

Whether or not we can use MARC21 for multiparts and get the results we want, is
not the issue. That major MARC players are not doing such records is the problem.

Regards, B.E.

Bernhard Eversberg
Universitaetsbibliothek, Postf. 3329,
D-38023 Braunschweig, Germany
Tel.  +49 531 391-5026 , -5011 , FAX  -5836
e-mail  B.Eversberg at tu-bs.de